Interviews are both exciting and nerve-wracking. Trust me, I had three separate interviews this just this month. Each interview was for a career in a field that I had never been in before. Being nervous definitely makes it harder to be confident during the interview. So, how do you prepare yourself to rock a job interview?
Tips to rock a job interview:
01. Know the company and the position that you are applying for. Since I knew the career and job field I was wanting to enter, it made my research easier. Before applying for the position, I took the time to research the company and get a better understanding of its core ideas and values. Because of this, I was able to align my responses to match the company’s needs and wants.
02. Be early. I try to arrive about five to ten minutes early, no sooner and no later. If you arrive too early, there is the potential to become an inconvenience.
03. Dress to impress. For the job interview, you will want to dress appropriately for the industry. I made sure that my slacks and blazer were wrinkle-free and fit snug, but not tight. My hair and makeup were done, however not excessively. I wanted to maintain a very professional appearance. Even if the typical job wear is not professional, try to wear slacks and a business casual top.
04. Be confident, but not cocky. Confidence is key! Show your potential employer that you believe in yourself and that they should too.
05. Ask questions. Asking the interviewer pertinent questions is almost as important and answering them well. When thinking about which questions to ask, consider the following:
+ What would be the ideal candidate for this position?
+ Are there any areas that you feel I could improve upon?
+ What does a typical day look like for the position I am applying for?
+ Do you have any concerns about whether I would be a good fit for this position?
06. Send a thank you note. Doing so shows that you appreciate the resources and time that the company took to consider you for the job position. A thank you note will go a long way and will also help them remember you in a positive light.